Princess of Darkness

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Tokyo Story


Last Friday night was pretty dull..yep the day I fell down from steps (okay you can stop laughing now). It was the end of term 2 and I didn't want to do anything apart from getting some good films from blockbuster store and watch them til i fall sleep. That was when I found this film 'Tokyo Story'. Tokyo Story is one of the world finest movies and I can gurantee it's worth to watch.
I first
encountered the name 'Tokyo Story' in one of my textbooks (don't ask which one...I can't remember but i did okay!). They put this film in textbooks as a case study in noteworthy film-making. This movie is about 136 minutes (according to the dvd description).

Tokyo Story represents the story of an elderly couple in post World War II Japan who come to Tokyo to visit their children and
realize that the family has basically fallen apart. They found that their children are not as nice as they used to be when they were young. Their children became more greedy and full of selfishness. However, their widowed daughter-in-law is in contrast, she is way nicer to the couple more than their own children.
This film makes me wonder that how come people can be so cruel even to their own parents. For instant, there was one part that
the children sent their aging parents off to a health spa just to get them out of the way. How sad is that! I know it's just the film but don't forget these kind of things really exist and that make me sad. My mom used to say to me when I was a little girl that "look after your parents while you can, don't wait until the last mintue". It's true that some people can't look after their parents because they might have some issues but think about it some family have at least 5 kids and the parents can look after them but once they grow old, those 5 children hesitate to look after 2 aging parents.

I'm not saying I'm a good daughter but I'm a true believer that if you treat your parents well once you have your own kids, they
would do the same thing to you. Therefore, this movie teaches me to put more value into family and knowing that parents won't be with you forever.Either one of us will go first, so treat each other well now or else there will be no chance to do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home